Find a Local Branch

Search Now

Receive a Call Back

Request Now

Book a Visit

Book Now
01484 794027
Office Hours
Mon-Fri 9am-5pm

Who Qualifies for Care Funding?

Who Qualifies for Care Funding?

We know that funding for care can be a confusing issue, with many unsure about the funds they’re entitled to and how they can get them, so here we discuss who qualifies for care funding.

First, you need to identify the type of funding, you need to determine whether it’s healthcare funding or social care funding that you may be entitled to.

The definitions of social care and healthcare can be somewhat vague, it is important to explore all options and seek advice from medical or legal professionals to help understand the distinction between the two if you are unsure.

To help you get started we have listed the tow definitions below which have been provided by the National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded Nursing Care:

Social Care: “In general terms (not a legal definition) it can be said that a social care need is one that is focused on providing assistance with activities of daily living, maintaining independence, social interaction, enabling the individual to play a fuller part in society, protecting them in vulnerable situations, helping them to manage complex relationships and (in some circumstances) accessing a care home or other supported accommodation.”

Healthcare: “Whilst there is not a legal definition of a healthcare need (in the context of NHS continuing healthcare), in general terms it can be said that such a need is one related to the treatment, control or prevention of a disease, illness, injury or disability, and the care or aftercare of a person with these needs (whether or not the tasks involved have to be carried out by a health professional).”

How Much Will You Need to Pay Towards Care?

If your assets which include savings and investments exceed £23,250  and you live in England, your local authority will expect you to pay for your care in full. However, if you own your property, the value of it will not be taken into account as part of your assets.

You should get in touch with your local authority for a Financial Assessment to see if you qualify for help towards your care costs, it will assess your financial means and calculate:

  • If they pay for all of your home care.
  • If they pay for part of your care and they pay for the rest of your home care.
  • If you pay for your home care in full.

What Happens in a Financial Assessment?

Your local authority will assess whether or not you will be able to pay for your care in full or in part based on your income and assets. They will send a Financial Assessment Officer to visit you at home to look into you:

  • Income
  • Pensions
  • Benefits
  • Savings
  • Stocks and Shares
  • Any Additional Properties You May Own

When you have provided them with all of your financial information they will conduct a review and inform you whether you are eligible to have all, some, or none of your home care paid for. Local authorities tend to help to pay for your care if your assets total less than £23,250.

Should you be eligible to receive support, it will be provided via direct payments as part of your personal budget. The local authority will also reassess your eligibility on an annual basis.

Joint Savings

When you are undergoing your financial assessment, only the proportion of any assets that you are deemed to own are considered. For example, if you have £20,000 in a joint savings account, only £10,000 will be taken into consideration.

Please Note:

We hope you found our article on who qualifies for care funding to be useful and informative. However, you should still always seek advice from your local authority.

Other Funding Options:

Services We Offer

Churchill Home Care Provides a Gold Star Home Care Service That You Can Trust

Live-In Care

Live-In Care is when one of our home carers moves into your home to provide you with care in the comfort of your own home.

View More

Hourly Care

Hourly Care provides care in the comfort of your own home from as little as an hour a week to several visits a day.

View More

Respite Care

Respite Care provides either Live-In or Hourly Care for loved ones who require home care on a temporary basis.

View More

Home Support

Home Support provides a range of housekeeping services such as cooking, cleaning, laundry, errands, and even gardening.

View More

Want to Know More?

You can call us on the number below or send us an email with the form below.

01484 794027

This sites contact forms are protected by reCAPTCHA, therefore the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.